East Highland is a “Community of Grace for the Recovery of the Broken to the Glory of God in the Name of Christ through the Power of the Spirit”
Admittedly, that’s a mouthful! But it’s a significant mouthful that deserves a closer look.
* A Community of Grace – A “community” is a group of people who are united by a common denominator. For us at East Highland, that common denominator is “Grace” – which is the “undeserved favor of God”. The bible says that “everyone has sinned; we fall short of God’s glorious standard” (Romans 3:23) but “God, who is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so much, that even though we were dead because of sin, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead”. (Ephesians 2:4,5)
We come from different backgrounds – have different interests and tastes, strengths and weaknesses – but we all share in common our brokenness through sin. But we have also been invited to share in Christ’s life through God’s grace toward us!
* …for the Recovery of the Broken – We admit it – we are broken people! Our brokenness has many different forms (from addiction to greed to anger to pride to gossip, etc…) – but God has promised restoration through faith in Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 6:9-11, 2 Corinthians 5:17).
Our hope is that all who join us will find the same recovery from brokenness that we are finding everyday in Christ!
* …to the Glory of God – The Bible says that “Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father” (James 1:17) That means that our recovery from brokenness (in all of it’s forms) is a gift of God’s grace – it is His doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.
Since that’s the case, we can take no credit for the good that God has done (and continues to do) in us. All the glory belongs to Him!
* …in the name of Christ – Jesus made a bold statement when He said “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father but by Me” (John 14:6). In other words, it’s only through Christ that we can know God – and it’s only through Christ that we can be made whole by God. And so, as a Community of Grace for the Recovery of the Broken, we recognize that God’s healing and wholeness comes through the Person of His Son, Jesus Christ. It’s in His Name that we are saved and made whole!
* …through the Power of the Spirit – Jesus said to His disciples “you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you…” (Acts 1:8). It is only by the power of the Spirit working through this Community of Grace that the Broken can be redeemed and Recovered for life in God’s kingdom. Without the Presence of the Spirit working powerfully in and through the worship and relationships of the people we could do nothing – But He is Here!
This is who we are. You are invited to be a part of us!